Monday, January 12, 2009

ADVICE PLEASE!!

We're in for a long week or two. So, our little guy has now discovered how to climb out of his crib. Tonight was his first night in the big boy bed. It took us 3 hours to get him to finally conk out! So, all you mothers out there who have done the crib/bed transition... ADVICE PLEASE!!

8 comments:

Ruth said...

Wish I could help ya, but Tayson was excited to move into his big bed. Of course, we bought him a new Elmo blanket, which may have helped a little... Good luck!

Dione said...

The Elmo blanket may very well have helped Tayson. When a little one has a big change like this it helps for them to have a transitional object to help with the...transition.

A new blanket or stuffed animal can help to comfort him and he could even help pick it out. You should probably insist that it stays in the big boy bed though.

Another thing that helps - those safety door knob covers so they can't open up their bedroom door and escape. Watch the Nanny for wonderful ideas and advice.

You wouldn't think I know anything about this subject because my last 3 have all slept in my bed - but I used to be very diligent! Now I'm just tired and enjoy the cuddling!

Unknown said...

Ugh, Its such a hard time! We never had that problem but we are about to go through it with our second! If you hear anything good let me know!! *loves and Luck*

Emmers said...

I totally echo the safety door knob covers. My kids didn't get out of the big kid bed, but it works if you just repeatedly take them back.

You might try that first. Take him to his room, put him down, sit in the room across the room. If he gets up, walk him back to his bed. Over and over and over til he gives up.

Sarah said...

My boys were more difficult with the transition. One thing that they liked was when we'd sit in there with them and sing primary songs or play them on a stereo.
Consistency is the key though. Get in a solid routine. We like stories, song, prayer.
And even though it's hard as a parent, it's okay to let them cry or be mad for a little bit.
Good luck!!

The Rays said...

Thank you everyone for all the advice!! I love the different ideas.

jenica said...

you've probably already got this kicked... but i do what super nanny does, consistent effort over time. it's gonna suck for a few days, but every time he gets out just lovingly put him back, without talking to him.

good luck!

Shara said...

My boys too seemed to have more trouble than my girls with this. With Isaac I would put one of those baby gates up at the door, so he couldn't get out. With Abram, I had to use 2 gates (the simple wood ones stacked on top of each other) because he could climb right over one in less than 2 seconds! I think the routine idea that was mentioned already is very important. Also, if you can, try to remove or put out of reach all "FUN" things that are going to make him want to get out of bed and play. I would usually try to keep the toys in the closet (and lock it) or in another 'playroom' (if that's available) and then I'd have a shelf or basket of books available, because if they REALLY can't sleep then they are free to read, for awhile anyway - which is still the rule for my kids (even though they are "big" kids now). And of course, as with all parenting and discipline issues, being consistent is key. Good luck and enjoy this time (it really is such a fun age with all these transitions, growing up to be such a big kid)!