Tuesday, August 18, 2009

K, NEED IDEAS

Nick is loving songs and hand motions lately. And we have got a few of the basics down, but i would love to know more! So please send me your songs and ideas for hand motions. That would be so great! Thanks!!

The ones we've got down:
3 little monkeys
Do your ears hang low
The itsy bitsy spider
Head shoulders knees and toes

8 comments:

Amber said...

Popcorn Popping, Book of Mormon Stories, "Once there was a snowman/flower/carrot," etc.

Carrie said...

I knew I was in the nursery for a reason! Here are some more:

The wise man & foolish man
Bringing home a baby bumble bee
If your happy & you know it
Popcorn Popping
Once there was a snowman
Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam

Dione said...

Here are two of my favorites - I found them both on one blog:

http://www.whattoexpect.com/blogs/momtothree/our-favorite-songs-for-toddlers.aspx

It's a little different than what I'm used to, but you get the idea.

Heidi Crosby said...

Five little ducks, Five little monkeys swinging in a tree, Five little monkeys jumping on the bed, five little speckled frogs...if you don't know how any of them go, let me know and I'll figure out how I can show you. You are a great mom!

Heidi Crosby said...

Five little ducks, Five little monkeys swinging in a tree, Five little monkeys jumping on the bed, five little speckled frogs...if you don't know how any of them go, let me know and I'll figure out how I can show you. You are a great mom!

Unknown said...

5 little monkeys swinging from a tree. That is such a great song for kids with actions.

Michelle said...

Where is Thumbkin?
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear
Two Little Blackbirds
Here is the Church, Here is the Steeple
Five Little Ducks went out one day

I surprised I can't think of anymore.

Shara said...

When Abram was in preschool this was by far one of their favorite songs (ALL of the kids):

http://www.songsforteaching.com/charlottediamond/octopusslipperyfish.htm

Most of the actions are self-explanatory, or you can just make them up as you go along. The kids just loved the song itself and were happy doing something, anything with their hands along with it! Not to mention seeing all the grown-ups being silly with them. :D

Another fun idea (of course from my nursery days) is having an indoor "Snow Day".
-There's the Snowman song which has already been mentioned. (A twist on that is dancing and rocking out to the a capella group Inside Out's version of the song. I know Sha has the CD you could borrow. We have it too, but she's a bit closer)
-There's other songs about snow/winter like:
"Rain/Snow is Falling" (all around, on the housetops on the ground, etc.)
-Here's one that's fun to sing while you dance around, pretending to be a falling snowflake:
"Dance Like Snowflakes"(sung to: Are You Sleeping)
Dance like snowflakes, dance like snowflakes
In the air, in the air
Whirling, twirling snowflakes
Whirling, twirling snowflakes
Here and there, here and there
-And the most fun of all was to make it snow! :D In nursery we would do this by taking a sheet (you can use a pillowcase or towel since it will be a much smaller group) then you put cotton balls on it and start shaking it, first slower then faster and faster until it starts "snowing" like crazy! Then you get to clean up by making "snowballs". Repeat until he (or you) get too tired and the sun decides to come out again and it stops snowing.
- At this point you can (if you want, and aren't TOO exhausted) sing a song or two about the sun, like:
"Hello Mr. Sun" (If you're Happy and You Know It)
Hello, Mr. Sun, how are you? (clap, clap)
Hello, Mr. Sun, how are you? (clap, clap)
We're so glad you're out today,
And we hope that you will stay.
We just love to see you shine, yes, we do!(clap,clap)

This is such a fun age. I hope this is helpful. ~ Shara