So I've been thinking allot lately about when I should start getting Nick on big boy things. Being a first time Mom, I don't have a clue as to when or how to do that. So I decided to review some Parenting magazines I have kept and found a perfect article. From baby to BIG KID (April 2007) PERFECT!! So here are some tidbits I've learned...
CRIB to BED
Pretty much when they are climbing out of their cribs would be a good time. Most kids try to climb out around 2, but since Nick is so tiny I bet we will be fine for a while. He also needs to understand limits. They say a good age to move him out of crib is around age 3.
SIPPY to CUP
I was shocked to hear that by 9 months a baby could drink from a cup! Wow. As soon as he can keep food in his mouth then he can drink from a cup. Start little and give more as needed. *Nick just learned how suck from a straw!* (Thanks to Will)
FEEDING THEM to DIG IN
When kids can hold a crayon and exert enough pressure to mark paper, their motor skills are developed enough for them to try using silverware. Always supervise them. Around age 2 is a good time to start.
HIGH CHAIR to BOOSTER
Around 18 months to 2 years. Especially if their little legs are awkward on the foot rest.
NAP TIME to QUIET DOWNTIME
No!! Does this day really have to come so soon?! So much for blogging. : ) Around 3 to 5 years they should be sleeping enough at night time to not need a nap. Kids that age need 11 hours of
sleep to make it to that stage.
DIAPER to POTTY
What it comes down to is GOOD LUCK!!
4 comments:
I remember the day Gavin gave up naps. *sob*
Just kidding. Actually it's really nice to not have to plan your day around naps. Just waiting on Soph..tho I'm fine with her keeping her 3 hour nap as long as she wants!
Good luck with all that, and let me know how it goes... Easton will stay a baby FOREVER!!
Interesting info. I think you are a GREAT mother and I love you so very much. I love those two boys you live with too Ü. Love, mom
I know the whole sippy cup thing is crazy! The real question is, "Are you ready to clean up spills ALL day long and have your carpet ruined?" Of course the answer is no, so I think it is just fine to let your child drink from a sippy cup well beyond 9 months. It's not like they will go off to college not knowing how to drink from a cup (there are SO MANY more important things to worry about). Now a bottle - that's a different story, but I can't really talk, it took Abram FOREVER to quit his. Speaking of forever, you are right on with the potty training thing. I have been changing diapers for over 13 years STRAIGHT. So potty training Abram will be the greatest accomplishment of my life (not to mention one of the happiest days!). Not to scare you, but it is my least favorite part of parenting so far, of course Emma became a teenager a couple weeks ago, so that may all change soon. :o) Anyway, good luck with all the joys of parenting, I'm sure you are doing a wonderful job of it. I wish I was closer and could experience it with you guys more, up close and in person. Nick is just so cute and I can tell from his pictures that he is growing up so happy and healthy (and a picture truly is worth a thousand words). Give him a big hug for me! Love and miss you all - Shara
Post a Comment